What are the features that should be considered when buying a battery?
The dimensions of your original battery
The Ampere hour required to power your vehicle
Automotive batteries are backed by a warranty package. Choose the one that is right for your vehicle's needs.
While replacing the battery or cleaning the terminals, why is it important to remove the ground wire first?
Before you start, always check the type of grounding system the vehicle has. If you remove the positive connector first in a negative ground system, a spark may be created in the process. It could happen if the metal tool you're using to remove the positive terminal connector comes in contact with any piece of metal in the car. If you are working near the battery when this occurs, it might create fire source causing the battery to explode. It's extremely important to remove the ground source first.
What can excessive heat do to a battery?
Heat can deteriorate a battery's life quicker by evaporating the water from the electrolyte, and corroding and weakening the positive grids
If my car doesn’t start, how do I know for sure that my battery needs replacement?
Many other problems can keep a car from starting. It is advisable to do some troubleshooting. SF Sonic authorised dealers test batteries free of charge, so as a good first step visit your nearest SF Sonic Dealer to be sure of your battery
How do I safely jump-start my battery?
WARNING: Modern vehicles with electronic management systems should not be jump started without "protected" jump starter leads and it is necessary to refer to the owner's handbook for jump starting procedures for such vehicles.
- Vehicle Jump Starting procedure is as follows and should be followed carefully:
- Ensure battery for jump-starting and vehicle battery are of the same declared voltage (say 12V) Turn off all electrical loads, check vehicles so that they are not touching each other and are in neutral.
- Check that vehicles have the same terminal earthed, If not, refer to manufacturers' instructions.
- Check that cables are not frayed or damaged.
- Carry out the following steps in sequence:
- On negative grounded system, connect positive of jump-starting battery to the positive of the stalled car battery.
- Connect one end of other cable to negative (-) terminal of booster battery.
- Connect other cable away from battery, to engine block or car frame of the vehicle to be started.
- Make sure cables are away from fan blades and other moving vehicle parts.
- If vehicle does not start within 30 seconds, call an auto electrician.
- After starting, remove cables in reverse order, starting with one connected to engine block or car frame.